Tuesday 13 October 2020

Jelly Snowflake Mystery Quilt Sew Along

I followed along with the Jelly Snowflake Mystery Quilt Sew Along in July and really liked the resulting throw sized quilt.  There were four blocks and then the finishing instructions.  I had a really nice print fabric of cardinals in tree branches in a snowstorm which I decided to use as my background and a white tone on tone snowflake print which I used for the snowflake itself so in effect I reversed my fabric positions from the instructions.

Block number 1 

Block number 2

Block number 3


Block number 4

And here's how they went together:



There was then a finishing central block which could have been as simple as a background square but I didn't have a big enough piece of fabric left so I made a nine patch.  In fact if you look closely at a lot of the fabric pieces in this quilt, you can see that I had to piece my fabrics together to even make some of the 2.5" squares!


Lucky for me the background fabric was dark enough and had a small print so my piecing did not show much.  Here is some of my creative piecing from the front and back.  The five small pieces at the bottom of the right hand picture are all that was left of the print fabric when I was finished!



Here is the finished flimsy which I am going to quilt with a snowflake pattern - of course!  I was supposed to add a border of background fabric to the quilt but had no fabric left.  I actually discovered some more white snowflake fabric after this picture was taken and added a border with it which I was very happy about.


This quilt went together quickly and easily so I decided I'm going to make a few more out of flannel for some children for Christmas.  Here are the first blocks of two flannel quilts.


I liked the "reverse fabric" result I achieved with my first quilt so I'm making these quilts that way too.

No comments:

Post a Comment