Tuesday 12 February 2019

Touch Base Tuesday

On Saturday thirteen members of our guild met at a local quilt shop and worked from 9 am til 4 pm on making comfort quilts.  We  had a great time and half a dozen tops at least were worked on.  I'm looking forward to seeing them all finished.  

On Sunday while skyping with my quilt buddy Marilyn, I did some tidying in my sewing room and put the spools quilt I made back in October on the frame and figured out what threads I am going to use to quilt it.  I love the rainbow of threads laid out on the quilt top.  You can also see the colourful rubber floor mats I have in front of my frame to make standing easier on me.  I am going to quilt each individual spool bock with the colour of thread that is on that spool.  My quilt was based on a "Time to Sew" quilt tutorial by Jenny Doan from the Missouri Star Quilt Company  and is going to become a sewing machine cover for the machine on my frame. 


Since I was working on making one sewing machine cover, I decided I may as well also work on making a second sewing machine cover.  After all, I wouldn't want my machines to get jealous of one another.  I cut out the backing or lining fabric for a sewing machine cover for the heavy duty sewing machine I piece with.  I have been planning for awhile now to use selvages to make the sides and top of this cover so I got out my bin of selvages and starting cutting out interesting pieces.  They were jammed in and overflowing from the bin so after I cut them I had to iron them before I could sew with them.


On Monday, I started sewing the strips to the lining fabric.  I had cut mine quite narrow, most of them are only .75" wide so not much of the fabric pattern shows as I overlap them and sew as close to the finished edge of the selvage as I can.  I drew some lines in pencil on the base fabric to help me keep the strips straight.


At first I was going to include a layer of  batting but the selvages and the lining fabric turned out nice and sturdy without the batting and I also wouldn't have been able to see the lines if I had included batting.  I have a pattern which has three different cats sitting, laying or playing on stacks of fabric.  I'm going to make the orange cat laying on a bolt of fabric as the front of my sewing machine cover.  The pattern is shown here with my finished strip of selvages.  If you read the selvages there are two with "Kitty" and "Katz" in them which makes me happy.
 

The selvages really went together quite quickly and I cut way more than I needed and I think the bin actually looks fuller than before I used some so I need to think of another project to use some more up!  I know I want to try crocheting a rug with some of them, but maybe a sewing room apron made with selvages or at least accented with selvage pockets would be nice.

Last night while I was watching TV, I basted enough hexagons to make two flowers.  I sewed one together at breakfast in the bright sunlight.  


Time to get into the sewing room!  Which machine cover shall I work on first?  The spools or the cat?

No comments:

Post a Comment