Wednesday 13 February 2019

Spools Mid-Arm Quilting Machine Cover Finished

Yesterday I quilted and bound my Spools Sewing Machine Cover.   Here it is after trimming off the excess batting and backing.


Here is a close up of one of the blocks.  It's supposed to look like the thread from the spool is unravelling and all tangled up.


I had to cut a slit in the cover to accommodate the thread stand and bind around it.  I chose a nice multi-coloured striped fabric.


Here's what it looks like on the machine from the front.


And here's the back where you can see the thread stand sticks through.


I did make a boo boo with some of my quilting.  Since I was changing thread for each of the twelve blocks, I chose to change the thread quickly by cutting the finished thread spool off and tying the new thread spool on and then pulling the thread through the machine until the new colour thread appeared.  This worked  great the first few times and saved me from having to re-thread the machine from scratch each time.  However, during the middle row, the knot where the two threads were tied together must have popped the thread out of the tension disk and with the top thread loose it was pulled to the back  by the bobbin thread tension and made some "eye lashes" on the back.  I discovered this and fixed it for the last row.  If this were a bed quilt, I would rip the stitching out and fix it.  Since the only thing that will "see" the back of this quilt is my machine, I chose to leave it as is as it looks fine from the front.  If it bothers me, I can fix it later.  In the meantime, I'm calling this a finish!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete