Monday 8 April 2019

Kaleidoscope / One Block Wonder Quilt

The first thing I want to say is that this is not the start of yet another new quilt.  I started this Kaleidoscope quilt several years ago after the purchase of some very interesting, colourful, good quality, sale fabric.  The reason it was on sale was because I purchased it at a store closing out sale, not because it was so ugly no one else wanted it...   I worked on it for a bit but then it became a UFO as I was not feeling so great about my interesting fabric.  When a class on making a One Block Wonder Quilt was offered by our guild, I decided it might be what I needed to finish my Kaleidoscope UFO.   Here is a picture of some of the fabric and some half hexagons sewn together as well as the basket of ones yet to be sewn.  You can decide for yourself if it is interesting and colourful with some potential or just plain ugly...  I may banish any hexagons that end up with the blobs that look like poorly made pizzas to the back of the quilt though.



Kaleidoscope quilts are just made out of hexagons.

One Block Wonder quilts have the option of adding in cubes that look three dimensional and are made out of coordinating fabric.  Here is a copy of the cover of my book which shows a finished quilt using this method.  At first, I wasn’t really interested in adding cubes to my quilt, but the idea has grown on me.

Funny observation:  I didn't notice until pasting a copy of the cover of my book into this blog post that the colour scheme of the quilt on the cover of the book is similar to mine, albeit minus some of the colours.  I'm starting to feel better about my interesting fabric and about my decision to banish the pizza blobs to the back of the quilt which will eliminate the colour orange from the quilt!

I went looking for coordinating fabric for the cubes this past weekend and was very surprised to find that all the colours I chose to look for could be matched up with Kona solids, which means to me that the colours themselves can't be all that ugly!  I was able to get a light, medium and dark fabric in a green to teal to blue combo and also in a mustard to rust to brown/burgundy combo.  As well, I also bought some mauve fabric the same as the background colour.  I'm feeling even better about my interesting fabric.  I actually really like this picture with all of the fabrics together!  Minus the pizza blobs in the bottom right hand corner of the print...


I am hoping that the addition of these solid fabrics help to tone down the mishmash of colourfulness / ugliness of the actual fabric and result in an interesting quilt.  I don't think everyone will love it, but if someone loves it, I will be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment