Thursday 4 April 2019

Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville Mystery "Good Fortune" - Adding Additional Border(s)

I auditioned some additional borders for the Good Fortune Quilt in January, but didn't like any enough to proceed.  I then decided I would just make the quilt the size Bonnie designed with just the addition of a small neutral border so there would be space between the last border and the binding. Here is an example of one of  the borders I was trying out.


Recently I watched a bluprint class on adding borders and was inspired by one of the examples using four patches because I had one-quarter of the red and white four patches I would need already made.  Gotta love that.  Here is a mock up of the corner of the quilt.


In the quilt itself, the red and white four patches are arranged so that the white squares chain.  The border is the opposite with the red squares chaining.  It will add 4" to each side of the quilt and if I add another neutral border, I can add 6" to each side taking the quilt to a finished size of 88" square.  I think I will put this plan into action.

6 comments:

  1. I love your colors and the additional borders are eye-popping. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I went and looked at your blog and saw the colours you used for your Good Fortune and really loved it!

      Delete
  2. Makes a great frame for the quilt. The more I look at it, the more I really like these colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this border will be much nicer than the other ideas I had. I hadn't thought of it, but it is like an old fashioned carved border on a picture frame. Appreciate your input.

      Delete
  3. I really love these colours and patterns you selected. The meandering border pattern is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate your opinion both as a daughter and from your art background perspective!

      Delete