Tuesday 29 January 2019

Windowed Zippered Bag

I have been wanting to try sewing with clear vinyl to make some project bags to easily carry around hand sewing or knitting projects.  I decided to try this Windowed Zip Bag Tutorial by CraftyStaci.  I made a mistake on my first bag and boxed the bottom corners way too deeply.  The second bag turned out much better.  I also used "Zippers by the Yard" for the first time.


The vinyl cut as easily as fabric with a rotary cutter.  The problem was being able to see it to measure it properly and also it kept sticking to the ruler.  Sewing with it was fine since it had fabric sandwiched on both sides of it but it was very slippery and I was glad I had some clips to hold the pieces together.  It was a little bit fiddly getting zipper pulls onto the zipper tape but it was nice to be able to cut the zipper the exact length you wanted.  The instructions for the bag have you sewing the seams and then zigzagging over them to finish them.  I chose to sew them with French seams so the edges of the fabric were enclosed.  This actually makes the bag stand up better on it's own because it made sturdy tubes out of the seams.


Here's a picture of the back of one of the bags.


I think I will be making a few more of these in various sizes in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment