Wednesday 23 January 2019

HRT's (Half-Rectangle Triangles) and Comfort Quilts

At my last Guild meeting, my buddy Marilyn and I gave a demo on how to make Half-Rectangle Triangles based on an HRT tutorial found on the blog "Buttons & Butterflies" by Heide Grohs.  Here is the process using construction paper instead of fabric.  You can make any size rectangle by starting with two rectangles cut 1/2" wider and 1/4" longer than the unfinished size of rectangle you want to end up with.


It was decided we would make light yellow and blue HRT's for our next meeting starting with 5" by 10" rectangles.  Here are the ones I made:


The previous month we were collecting striped 12.5 " unfinished star blocks made in any manner and we were one short, so I decided to make one using HRTs paired as the star legs.  I cut out four pairs of rectangles measuring 4.75" x 3" in order to end of with 4.5" x 2.5" star legs which paired together to make 4.5" squares.


And here is the finished star made with 4.5" squares of fabric.


I had a comfort quilt top which had been put together the last time our guild had a comfort quilt sew day and on Monday, I pieced a backing and got it loaded on my frame and finished quilting loops on it by lunch time.  After lunch, I got the binding on and put it in the washer.  It went together way more quickly than I imagined.  Here's a picture of it all finished.  The blocks are 6.5" unfinished so the quilt is approximately 42" x 60".  I didn't measure it after shrinkage.


And here's a close up to see the backing, binding and the loopy quilting.


Since I had some backing fabric left over, I decided to make another star block.  Plaid fabric is just fabric with stripes going in two directions right?  Double stripes.


Now, to get some more finished tops onto the frame and get them quilted as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment