Friday 5 February 2021

Quilts of Valour Canada National Sew Day

Today is a sew day via zoom for Quilts of Valour Canada.  I didn't join the zoom group but I had a small kit of the Stonehenge QOV fabric which I had bought quite awhile ago when a QOV representative spoke at our guild.  The kit was supposed to make one pinwheel block with two fabrics.  However when I opened it up, there were three fabrics included:  a small piece of red text fabric and a small piece of Inukshuk fabric both about 6" x 10" and a larger piece of white and red text fabric about 10" by width of fabric.  I decided not to make the pinwheel block but went to the QOV website and found that one of their recommended blocks was a Friendship Star which would use three fabrics.  To make the most of my fabrics, I made 3" unfinished hst's which gave me an 8" unfinished block which I then bordered on two sides with more of the text print to make them 9 3/4" unfinished so that they could easily be trimmed to the required 9.5" by whoever receives them.  Here's the block I made.

Actually, I was able to make three Friendship Star blocks and with the leftovers I made a block that resembles the Canadian Flag.  Here are the four blocks I was able to make with the kit intended for only one block.

If you look closely at the Canadian flag block, it was an absolute coincidence but the right hand side of the flag includes the word PEACE.  If I get really ambitious, I may embroider the outline of a maple leaf on the flag.


These are all the scraps I had left.

Now I'm off to see if I jave some dark red embroidery floss to embroider a maple leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment