Tuesday 24 March 2020

Bird of Paradise, aka Chickens

I am a fan of Jenny at Missouri Star Quilting and watch her new video every Friday.  I almost always want to make what she is showing, but it's just not possible to make them all.  This last week though I had to make something because in an abstract way it looked like chickens.  I don't know why, but I like chickens.  Here is a link to Jenny's video:  triple-play-drunkards-path-tutorial  The block involves making two drunkards path blocks, four triangle leg blocks and uses 10 additional squares of fabric.  The biggest drunkard's path block I could make was 3.5" unfinished so my blocks are smaller than Jenny's.  Here's my first block with the pieces laid out and ready to sew together.


Here are two mirror image chickens.  I've placed two black buttons where their eyes might be if it helps you to see the chickens.  They have gold legs and beaks, red combs and wattles and green and blue/gray tail feathers.


Here are four sewn together.  You may have noticed my chicken themed fabric as well.....what can I say, I like chickens.


I have added a border of 2.5" squares and laid out the binding I am going to use when it's finished.  It is 28.5" square and will make a nice table topper as the center is plain so the design won't be obscured by a centerpiece.


I thought I would be doing more sewing with the stay at home conditions we are in, but have been surprisingly busy with other  activities as well.  I have also made two more Chic Kisses blocks, but didn't take a picture of them as they all look the same.

1 comment:

  1. I like how animated these chickens appear, like they're squawking at each other :) I like the chicken wire too! Say, have you ever entertained the idea of housing chickens in the backyard? It'd be a fun project, and I hear they can make good pets too :)

    ReplyDelete