Tuesday 3 March 2020

3D Pinwheel Cushion

I made this cushion cover after watching this Missouri Star Quilt Co. tutorial.  I wanted eight colours, so I picked the seven colours of the rainbow plus pink and chose a neutral grey background fabric.


I pressed all the coloured pieces into pinwheel shapes.


And then placed the pinwheel shapes on four grey fabric squares.


I sewed them into pairs and then into four patches.


And then added a grey rectangle to one side of all the pinwheel four patches.


I arranged the pinwheels in the order I wanted them.  The NSEW pinwheels were arranged so the pinwheel was closest to the outer edge.  The corner pinwheels were arranged so they were closest to the centre and another grey rectangle was added to fill out the corner square.


The final sewing step was to join these nine pieces together into one piece.


The next step is to layer the cushion top and quilt it.  It is 20 3/4" square.  Once it's quilted, I'll make an envelope back and bind the edge.  I don't have enough of the grey fabric left for the back, but I could use what's left for the binding.  I really like how the pinwheels are such a bright contrast to the grey background and they pop, not just in brightness, but 3D as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment