Thursday 29 April 2021

Dear Jane Milestone - All 169 Centre Blocks Completed

Yesterday I finished the last Dear Jane Block to complete the centre of the quilt and today I added row M to the top and then a row of sashing all around so now I am ready to concentrate on the border rows of triangles.  I can't wait until the end of the post to show you, so here's a picture of the full centre of 169 blocks sewn together!


On April 15, I sewed block M3.  I think this was the most difficult of the Dear Jane Blocks as it was all set in seams, partial seams and Y seams.  I did not do all of the inset sewing for the border.  I just kept adding strips which I could sew straight across each side of the octagon.  I still ended up adding triangles to each corner to get the square shape but it was much easier than all the wedge shaped pieces with mitered corners pictured.


M3 closeup.


On April 23 I was able to sew three blocks starting with paper piecing the diamonds in M11.


M11 closeup.


Next I made M4.  I changed the corner black squares a little by omitting the frame on the two outer edges.  I could have made the final corner triangles a bit bigger, but I'm satisfied with how the block turned out.  The yellow in this picture is more true than the yellow in the closeup.


M4 closeup.


And finally M10 which turned out to be the easiest block in Dear Jane so far.


M10 closeup.


The next time I was able to sew on Dear Jane was 28 April.  Our Dear Jane Bee got together via zoom and sewed for nearly 6 hours which was great fun!  I started with piecing M5 which was quite an easy block.


M5 closeup.


Then I sewed M9 by using strip sets.  It looks more complicated than it actually is.


M9 closeup.


Continuing on I finished M6.  The row of pieces around the central octagon were sewn on with partial seams but they went on easily.


M6 closeup.


And then I sewed M8.  I left off the red teeny-tiny triangles at the tips of the black diagonal lines because they were so small I thought the difficulty of adding them wasn't worth it.  I'm very happy with the block the way it is.


M8 closeup.


Then I was down to the last block!  Wouldn't you know it though, M7 turned out to be an applique block which would have been extremely difficult to turn into a cathedral window block.  So, I bit the bullet and made it as an applique block.  I didn't get it finished while our group was zooming, but kept on sewing afterwards and had it done before getting supper ready.  Without further ado, here's my final Dear Jane block M7.  I think my applique has improved over the course of this quilt, but still far from great.


M7 closeup.


This morning right after breakfast I got row M all sewn together and sewed an outer row of sashing to it before attaching it to the quilt centre.  Three more rows of sashing and I was done!  Here's another picture of the completed centre of the quilt but it also shows the 9 triangles I already have sewn for the top border row which means I only have to make 4 more triangles and my first border will be complete too!


Still having tons of fun with this Dear Jane quilt and spurred on to get all the triangles sewn now!

No comments:

Post a Comment