Thursday 31 December 2020

Snowflake Cushions

I found this beautiful free Snowflake pattern from Kathy Schwartz, a Canadian who blogs at Tamarack Shack and is half the design team behind Highway 10 Designs.  Snazzy Snowflake was originally designed in celebration of Canada's 150th birthday.  I had three pieces of batik fabric which I thought would look great as snowflakes.  I made the snowflake block in the light and medium fabrics and put it on point by adding four triangles to the sides to make it big enough for a cushion.  I used the dark fabric for the back and binding.

I only had a limited amount of fabric since I was working from stash so I made the envelope backing a half inch larger on all sides so I could use it to self bind the cushions.  I sewed the binding down and then sewed another row of stitching in the binding ditch to make the seam stronger since this was the only seam holding the whole thing together.  I didn't quilt the snowflakes.

Here's a picture of one cushion in a rocking chair I am painting teal.  I only have one coat of paint on it so far so you can still see the black paint through it.


While I was making these cushions I was wishing that the contrast between the snowflake fabric and the background fabric was more crisp so the snowflake design was more clear, or maybe it is just because of the mottled prints, but I began thinking of them as snowflakes in a snowstorm!  I gave two to my sister and one to my d-i-l's mother for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment