Thursday 23 January 2020

Progress on my Sister's Pink Quilt aka "Summertime Blues" and "May Flower"

I sent my sister pictures of three different pink fabric collections and this is the one she chose with help from her daughter.  I was glad because it was my favourite too.


Yesterday I got out and bought some additional fabric for the background, borders, binding and also to make some of the pink and green flowers.


As soon as I got home, I couldn't resist and I made a "test" flower.


Not long after I had four flowers.


And before a late supper I had seven flowers, only six more to go.


I actually made this same quilt before for my mother and am making it again for my sister at her request.  The pattern is called "Summertime Blues" (It was made with blue flowers).  I got the pattern from the June 2009 American Patchwork & Quilting magazine.  The designer is Jill Finley of Jillilly Studio.  You can buy the pattern here.  I made my mother's quilt in pinks and called it "May Flower" since her birthday was in May and she always looked for the first May flowers in the spring.  Here is the quilt I made and gave my mother for Christmas 2011.  It is 60" square.  I didn't do a lot of quilting on it and always planned to do a bit more.  Since I have the quilt right now, I might get that done.


If you go check out the pattern you can see that I didn't follow the pattern exactly.  I left off the applique flowers and didn't piece the 2nd last border.  My sister's will not be the same as the pattern either, or the same as my mother's.  My mother's pinks were peachy and her greens were apple or limey green.  My sister's pinks are rosier and her greens are more olive green.  I'm looking forward to taking a picture of them side by side for comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment