Tuesday 28 January 2020

My Sister's Quilt Top is Fully Pieced!

So after I blogged about my sister's quilt last Thursday, I carried on and finished the additional six flowers and cut out the setting triangles (twice*) and sewed the centre together.  *I had never managed to make this particular mistake before, but if you cut out a square, but somehow it isn't a square, maybe it was 14" x 13" or 14" x 15", and then you cut that square diagonally twice, you do not end up with right angle triangles suitable to square up the sides of an on point block setting.  Half of the triangles will be greater than 90 degrees and the other half will be be less than 90 degrees, and none of them can be re-cut to be what you intended.  Luckily I had more fabric.  Here is the completed centre of the quilt including the first border, which is the same background fabric so doesn't really show up.  The picture was taken at night so unfortunately is rather washed out.


On Sunday I added all the borders.  Here it is with the second and third borders.


And here it is with the final border I chose (not the same as the pattern's next two borders).  This border let me use up almost all of the green and pink fabrics in the bundle.  There were two fabrics that I didn't use at all because neither of them had a pink or green background, one was off white and the other was taupe.


I also decided on the backing fabric, I just have to go get another metre.  I made the binding out of the lovely green fabric that is printed to look like linen.  And I made two corner hangers which I will use as the labels.  I was pleased to be able to trim four of the aforementioned greater than 90 degree setting triangles for these so now I only have four less than 90 degree triangles to find a purpose for.


In other news, although I haven't blogged about it yet (I still intend to), I organised all my quilt tops waiting for quilting including making sure that they all had backing fabric and binding fabric.  I also made a label for one of them and then decided since this particular quilt now had everything ready to go I would put it on the frame and quilt it.  I am still contemplating the quilting (I have the border figured out).  So all this is to say that until this quilt is quilted and off the frame, my sister's quilt will have to wait.....  My own "organisation" is now holding me back!  How did that happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment