Friday 20 September 2019

Phoebe Bag (Purse)

Our guild had a bag challenge and I have been wanting to make a purse so I made a fairly simple one as my first attempt.  Being me though, I did complicate it a bit by adding a welted zippered pocket to the back of the bag and also by making an adjustable strap.  You can download a free PDF printable pattern for the Phoebe Bag by Rebeka Lambert from the patternpile.com.


First I attached a fussy cut inside patch pocket to the lining.  I added an extra row of stitching 1" from one side of the pocket for a pen pocket.


Then I sewed a welted slot in the back of the bag.


And installed a zippered pocket.  I was going to use a black zipper since the welt was centered in the black stripe, but in the end I couldn't resist the pink zipper.  Next time I will remember to baste the zipper in so that if it's not quite right it is easy to rip out and redo.  I chose to leave it rather than rip it this time.  Even though it is slightly crooked, it zips and unzips no problem.


Here's a completed picture of the bag showing the fussy cut cat on the flap closure and the fussy cut adjustable strap.  I cut the strap out of the black striped area of the fabric for the outer side and the lining on the inner side.  This was the first time I installed a magnetic fastener and it was "easy peasy".


Here's an inside view showing the inside patch pocket.


And here's a back view showing the open zippered pocket.


I am very pleased with how the purse turned out and will definitely use it.  I like the size and will likely make it again.  Next time I may add more inside pockets and a place to attach a key ring.

Linked to Wendy's Quilts and More Peacock Party  

1 comment:

  1. That is a very clever bag - and I'm not even a cat lover. I'm sure you'll get lots of nice comments about it when you take it out. Thank you for linking up to the Peacock Party.

    ReplyDelete