Friday 21 September 2018

Cat's Meow Mystery Quilt, Finished

I finished my quilt on Sunday, but couldn't post it until we had the quilt reveal and viewer's choice award at my guild which happened last night.

First of all, measure twice, cut once.  I cut a piece of batting several inches wider and several inches longer (so I thought) than my quilt top and proceeded to put everything on the frame only to discover I had cut the length using the measurement of the quilt before adding borders.  I decided to start quilting anyway and when I got to the point that I needed to add a strip of batting I whip stitched it on by hand.  The edge of the quilt is rolled back so you can see the 7 inch strip of extra batting I had to add on by hand. I emphasise by hand because I really try to avoid doing any sewing by hand....


I quilted this quilt by following a paper pantograph with a laser pointer on my machine.  Here's a picture showing how that works.  As you follow the line on the paper with the laser, the machine sews that same design onto the fabric.  I chose this design because I thought the flowers looked similar to the flowers in the fabric.


I didn't have quite enough of the flowered fabric for the backing, but I had some left over pieced strips and enough of the green to make do.  I used the rest of the green to make the binding.  I have only scraps of both fabrics left.


So here, finally, is what the finished quilt looks like.


Here's a picture of the winning quilt, courtesy of our guild photographer Lorna.  This quilt was made by Claudia.  (photo used with Claudia's permission) It was even nicer in person.


So now with two deadline quilts finished I can work on whatever I want!  I know Dear Jane will be one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment