Tuesday 19 February 2019

Odds and Ends of Sewing




I started Bonnie Hunter's Leader & Ender Challenge "Rail Fence" in the summer of 2017 and progressed on it for awhile.  I never really liked it and stopped working on it at some point. 

I find it a little hard to work on a leader ender project as I tend to work on whatever I am making at the time in that same fashion so rarely need to add something extra under my needle so as to not waste thread.

I decided to at least finish what I had already cut and have now sewn all the coloured strips into sets of four.  I have decided I can make a quilt which will be 8 blocks by 10 blocks which will be 48" x 60" which is a nice sized crib quilt.  I will donate it.  Black and white and colours are supposed to be good for babies to look at, as long as they don't have a seizure in the process.

In this picture I have 47 blocks completed so I just have to make the black and white checker board strips for 33 more blocks.  My camera even had a hard time focusing on this quilt which is also what I don't like about it.  It is just so busy!







Here is a close up of one block which randomly came out kind of interesting.  To me it looks like the sky at sunset over a beach from the perspective of standing out in the water and looking toward the beach.  It must be a beach on the west coast.  Well, maybe that interpretation is even stretching my imagination just a bit.

I have also been trying to decide on an additional border for Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville Mystery "Good Fortune" Quilt using up the extra red and white four patches.  I figured out if I used the four patches on point, I have nearly enough to finish borders on two sides of the quilt.  I'm not thrilled with the little sample border I made but here are the four possible ways to attach the border ranked from most liked to least liked.

1.  Border with peach side facing in and points of both borders offset.


2.  Border with peach side facing in and points of both borders in line.


3.  Border with blue side facing in and points of both borders offset.


4.  Border with blue side facing in and points of both borders in line.


What do you think?  Or should I go back to the drawing board.  Another possibility is to just add a row of the red and white four patches joined in a strip like a checker board.

I had also used up all the hexagon papers I had (I only had a sample pack of 25) and each flower needs 7 so that didn't get me very far.  I used my AccuQuilt Go cutter and a new die to make more 1" templates from last year's calendar cover and also a vacation advertisement booklet that were both thicker paper.  They turned out well but not very pretty.


I have also been binge reading Amanda Jean's "Crazy Mom Quilts" blog from the beginning in 2006.  She just retired from blogging at the end of 2018 and had been one of my favourite quilt blogs to read.  When I "discovered" her blog, I had just carried on reading in the present as she was quite prolific and blogged several times a week.  I have been missing her so had the bright idea to go back and read the ones I hadn't seen before.  You can find her here:  http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/  I'm currently up to September 2009 and I haven't come to where I started reading yet.  I'll be disappointed when I do.

My guild meeting is this Thursday so I better finalize the program details.

4 comments:

  1. I like the first border idea best. I rather like the Rail Fence but I can see how it might be hard to look at while you are wirking on it. That's a lot if checkerboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input Colleen. I appreciate it! I strip pieced the checkerboard for the most part so that made it easier.

      Delete
  2. After much squinting at the four photos, I think I like, 3. "Border with blue side facing in and points of both borders offset." the best. What did you end up doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the end, I think I have decided I don't like any of the above options enough to make an entire border.

      Delete