Friday 7 December 2018

Pincushion With Attached Thread Catcher or Sewing Tool Storage Bag

I found a free pattern for a Pincushion Thread Catcher on AllFreeSewing.com.  Here's the link:  https://www.merrimentdesign.com/pincushion-thread-catcher.php  I filled the weighted pincushion area with sand inside of another fabric pouch so there are two layers to prevent sand seepage.  It is heavy enough and the bag is big enough that you could also use it to hold some sewing tools, not just thread.


Here's a side view so you can see the pretty print with cats, birds, thread spools and measuring tapes.  Speaking of measuring tapes, instead of making straps out of fabric as instructed in the pattern, I had some ribbon tape printed like measuring tape which came on a bundle of fabric.  I saved it and used it for my straps.


The pattern called for clothesline wire to make the circle to hold open the bag but I didn't have any and figured it would also be fairly heavy.  I have also seen patterns use fish tank tubing which would have worked and been light but I didn't have any of that either.  I went exploring in the workshop and found a piece of lightweight plastic tubing for inserting screens into their frames.  It worked great.  Here's what it looks like.


I liked the pattern enough that I made a second pincushion thread catcher.  This fabric has pincushions, spools of thread and cats in baskets.


And I made a third one with cats and stacks of fabric and balls of yarn.  This one shows how you can fold the bag flat when not in use without affecting the tubing holding the mouth of the bag open.


I'm keeping this last one for myself.  The other two have been gifted.

Linking to Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday

5 comments: