Saturday 9 June 2018

Flower Arranging for Quilters

I participated in a workshop yesterday put on by my quilt guild called Flower Arranging for Quilters.  It was taught by Anne Morrell Robinson, one of Nova Scotia's most renowned quilters.  It was a fun and informative class and I would recommend taking a class from Anne if you get the chance.   You can browse her website by clicking on her name above.  These are the pieces I made in the class and this is how I arranged them this morning, but not how I had them arranged yesterday and will not likely be the final arrangement by the time I am done.  In class I had them arranged overlapping and not symmetrically.  Today I was going for symmetrical which I like except for the central yellow flower.  I think I need to tilt the two purple flowers out further so I can place the yellow flower higher.


I have to decide what colour vase to make to replace this one which will contrast better with the background.  I am thinking of turquoise.  I also have to add a lot more little flowers to fill in the gaps.  I know I am going to start with some orange ones.  The green random strips are just trimmings from stems in case I need them when I rearrange things.

This will be a work in progress for awhile.  If it turns out well, I plan to make a queen size medallion quilt using this as the centre.  If it turns out that it doesn't warrant that amount of commitment, it will become a wall hanging or a smaller quilt. 

2 comments:

  1. The gradient is beautiful on the petals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Kathy. If you're flowers aren't attached yet, you could try a black background vs changing vase?

    ReplyDelete