Monday 9 April 2018

Cathedral Window Pincushion

I saw this cathedral window pincushion tutorial by Moda Bake Shop and I happened to have a charm pack I received for free when purchasing some other items so decided to try it out.

I followed every step except one.  Instead of using nine 5" charm squares, I only used five.  If you sew  together the four triangular pieces you trim from the top, you will  have a more than big enough square of fabric for the back and who doesn't want to save fabric!

I stuffed it with quilt batting trimmings that were less than 1" wide so too narrow to piece back together into usable batting chunks.

I used an old button for the centre. 

If I were to make another one, I would pay more attention to which corner of the fabric I used on top though.  If you look at the back of the pincushion, you can see I used two fabrics with burgundy backgrounds and two fabrics with mustard backgrounds.  On the top, however, all you can see of one of the burgundy fabrics is a bright pink flower and all you can see of the other mustard fabric is a pale pink flower.  It's fine, but wasn't the coordinating look I intended.  

The corners are a bit lumpy, but all in all I'm pleased with the result and would make another one.

It's hard to believe, but I think this just might be the first pincushion I have ever made!

2 comments:

  1. Your pin cushion is GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for posting the pattern link, as I may give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! I'm in love with the cathedral window work you've been doing :)

    ReplyDelete