Monday 27 November 2017

Log Cabin Christmas Wreath Wall Hanging

I'm not exactly sure when I started to make this wreath.  The paper that I printed off the Internet that was with it was dated November 2010...... I tried to find the website again, but I couldn't.  It is basically log cabin blocks made using 1.5" strips with some flippy diagonal corners on them so they finish at 1".  I had gotten to this point and was kind of stumped as to how to proceed since I was just going by a picture and didn't want just a plain square like the picture had:


I knew I wanted to have some sort of ribbon border so first thing was to figure out what to add to square up the corners.  Of course, the original background fabric had been used in another project, so I had to use something else and decided to use a pine cone print:


Yeah! All squared up:


I originally wanted a ribbon loop in the corners, but it was too complicated, maybe next time.  I figured out a simpler next row with just the ribbon tips crisscrossing:


I then added a final row of pine cone fabric making it 28" square and bound it with one of the green prints from the wreath:


Here is a close up of the pantograph I used called Wild Cherries made by Patricia Ritter and DIGI-TECH.  Hey, I just noticed that some of the fabric has cherries in it too!  I love details like that.  I chose yellow thread so it blended into the background but the leaves and berries showed up on the wreath:


I even remembered to add two triangular corners before sewing the binding down on the back which double as the label and holding a dowel for hanging it up.  Since I was just making it for myself I kept the label pretty simple.  The other corner has my name and my blog address.


I plan to hang it up on Friday, December 1st which will be my first piece of Christmas decorating this year!

Linking to Crazy Mom Quilts for finish it up Friday 1 Dec 2017 (http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.ca/2017/12/almost-finished-and-some-wool-garland.html)

5 comments:

  1. Honestly, the first picture seemed dark and depressing. I am glad I continued reading. The addition of the red border and the lovely quilting has made this wreath cheerful!!! Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is such a cool wall hanging! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! on your newly completed holiday wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So interesting to see how your Christmas Wreath evolved. It looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete