Wednesday 17 May 2017

Turquoise Toile Baby Quilt

Since you always need to make baby quilts, I do tend to have fabric on hand for them.  I really like the old-fashioned look of this toile and found a text print with lists of children's games which I think pairs well.  I think the stripe is a great contrast to the other fabrics.  Here is a picture of the completed flimsy and then a close up of some of the fussy cutting I did of the toile fabric.


I found a really soft checkered flannel for the back and made binding out of the toile.


I put it on my frame to quilt using my domestic sewing machine and for the first time used the new ruler foot and some of the rulers I bought from Nancy's Notions.  I had a great time using the rulers and will definitely use them again.  I used two curved rulers, the small one in the small sashing corner stones and the larger one in the sashes and main fussy cut blocks.  Then I decided there wasn't enough quilting in the main blocks and went back with a third ruler with a tighter curve and added four more lines of quilting in each main block.  The piece of tape was a guide mark to line up with the sashing so my curves were consistent.  The painter tape actually made the ruler less slippery which I'll keep in mind for next time too.  The picture is before I added the curves with the third ruler, but shows where they will be located in relation to the existing curves.


Here is a look at the quilting from the back.  I am doing a happy dance!


And here is the completed quilt.


I made the flimsy on 1 April 2017, quilted it on 9 and 10 April, put the binding on and washed it ready for gifting on 10 April.  I will have to hold off on blogging about it until I give it to my nephew's family for their third baby due the middle of June. I forgot to take a picture of it, but instead of using wrapping paper, I made a drawstring bag out of the toile fabric to gift the quilt in.

My sister was here visiting and took the quilt back with her.  She has now advised me the quilt has been gifted and I can finally blog about it. I'll update with a picture of the baby on the quilt once the baby has been born.

2 comments:

  1. I am sure it will be treasured, it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The turquoise shade is lovely and the design and fabric make this charming and whimsical. It would be a bestseller in a high-end baby shop. Of course, the usual great attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete