Wednesday 15 March 2017

Batik Birds

At one of the Mayflower Quilters' Guild meetings this year, we were invited to bring a metre of batik fabric and participate in a little game.  We got together in groups of five and stood in a circle.  Everyone tore their piece of fabric in half, kept half and passed the other half to the right.  We then tore that piece of fabric in half, kept half and passed half until everyone had a piece of each fabric, but in different proportions to everyone else.  We were then challenged to make something which included those fabrics but could have others added as well.  I had no idea what I was going to make until I saw this post on Sew Preeti Quilts:

http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.ca/2017/02/he-tweeted-she-tweeted.html.

As soon as I made the first pair of birds, I knew this was what I wanted to make.  Here are eight pair.


I don't have a lot of the sky fabric so am planning to use the sand coloured fabric when I piece their legs together so it will look like they are walking on the beach.  I am also not planning on making a quilt with them but maybe a large beach bag would be a good project.

Here are a few with their legs attached.


If I get carried away making birds, who knows, a matching beach blanket would be kind of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment