Friday 24 March 2017

Batik Bird Beach Bag - Say that nine times fast!

I am very excited about this finish!  It started with a batik fabric challenge at the Mayflower Quilters' Guild and then I was inspired by a quilt made of birds on Sew Preeti Quilts' blog:  http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.ca/2017/02/he-tweeted-she-tweeted.html

First a view of the inside.  The challenge was to use the batiks received in a game plus any other fabrics you wished.  I must admit that I wasn't very fond of one of the fabrics but since I had to use it, I put it in the bottom of the bag....


Here is a picture of how thick the layers were that I had to sew through when I attached the bottom.  My machine went through it with no problems whatsoever.  I used the foam that has knit fabric on both sides to give the bag body and stability.  This is the first time I used it and I really liked it.  The bag will stand up on it's own, but is still nice and soft.


Here's a picture of the outside of the bag.  The bag is 18" wide, 6" thick and 16.5" tall and is made of 18 bird blocks.


And, just for fun, here's a picture with it packed for the beach with room to spare for other items.


My daughter was over yesterday working on the Storm at Sea quilt in the background so here's a picture of it.  There is only one long seam left to sew and it will be entirely together.  Sorry the picture is sideways here, not sure why, when I open it on my computer it is right side up....


Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday!

3 comments:

  1. I love your Bird bag. One of the birds is actually dancing and I love that even more. Thank you so much for acknowledging me and my post. Blush!!! Your Storm at Sea quilt is spectacular.
    Hugs,
    Preeti.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Preeti, thank you for your kind comments. I find your blog inspiring. Kathy

      Delete
  2. I love your bag. Anything with birds and I am hooked!

    ReplyDelete