Monday 6 February 2017

Making things more complicated than they need to be...

I have finished the first of three X & O Table Runners.


I quilted it by following the diagonal lines created by the edges of the X & O letters and then by stitching an additional line in between each of the previous lines. I marked the quilt top using a ruler and a hera marker and then just followed the resulting creases.

This is where I complicated things....  Instead of just using a plain backing, I decided the other side should be able to be used as an everyday table runner to make it more useful.


I would have preferred to use a pink fabric for the binding, but since the table runner was reversible and there was no pink on the other side, I used the background fabric from the X & O blocks as binding as well.


I made the square in a square blocks with coffee bean fabric and coffee text fabric.  I made wof strip sets cutting a 3.5" strip for the centre and 2.5" strips for each side.  I then cut these strip sets into 3.5" segments and added 2.5" strips to each side to complete the square in a square blocks.

I then added 2.5" long side borders to the X & O blocks so the runner would be as wide as the square in a square runner.  The runners were now almost the same size lengthwise but I wanted to add end borders to the X & O runner.  I added 3" end borders to the X & O runner and balanced this off by added two more side sections to each end of the square in a square runner.

Now only two more to quilt and bind!  Why did I decide to make three, or six, since they are reversible?  What was I thinking? This was supposed to a quick project....

No comments:

Post a Comment